SAVE OUR SCHOOLS WEBSITE
|Although this site mostly conerns issues in North Tyneside,we know schools are being threatened with closure elsewhere in the UK, against local wishes. We hope this site has some useful information for anyone who wants to oppose schools closures, and for anyone interested in current school policies. We would like to hear from people in other parts of the country so feel free to get in touch.
|Although North Tyneside LEA have decided not to change our schools to a 2 tier system just now, we are watching events and hope to keep this site updated as needed. We have heard that the Chief Education Officer has said it is North Tyneside’s policy to change to two tier and that they are only waiting for the right opportunity to change. Please get in touch if you want.
Let us introduce ourselves – we are a group of parents living in Whitley Bay who are angry at the local council’s plans to close four middle schools, and change the present system of education. We have looked into the plans and surrounding influences and want to share this knowledge with other interested people. We are not politically motivated; our group has a mix of views and voting preferences. We simply want the best education for our children, and think our schools already provide an excellent one.
The main reasons we object to the council’s plans are –
- DISRUPTION TO OUR CHIDREN’S EDUCATION
- THE TRUTH HAS NOT BEEN FULLY TOLD ABOUT THE REASONS FOR CHANGE
- LIES TOLD TO US IN THE CONSULTATION PROCESS
- OUR SCHOOLS ARE ALREADY VERY GOOD – MASSIVE CHANGE WILL NOT IMPROVE THEM
- SERIOUS CONCERNS ABOUT CHILDREN’S SECURITY IN PORTACABINS AND ON BUILDING SITES
- CONCERNS ABOUT THE HUGE SIZE OF THE HIGH SCHOOLS (900 CHILDREN ARE SUPPOSED TO START ALL AT ONCE AT WHITLEY HIGH IN SEPTEMBER 2002!) AND TRAVELLING DISTANCES FOR YOUNGER CHILDREN